The EV Society Board has been closely monitoring the highly dynamic COVID-19 situation in Canada and has deployed additional support services for local chapters and regional groups.
Part of what we do as EVS Chapters and EV associations is to engage with our members and the public to support EV ownership and spread awareness. There is naturally some concern over continuing to have people gather at meetings or to participate in public events.
A number of chapters and associations have already announced cancellations and we fully support those decisions.
We have also taken a number of steps to help support continued virtual meetings and discussion by providing the following services to all EVS chapters and owners’ associations throughout Canada, free of charge:
1. An online phone and video conferencing meeting space able to host 100 attendees as needed for meetings by any regional chapter leader. Check with your regional leader for up-to-date information about upcoming events.
2. A pan-Canadian member discussion forum as well as a forum for each regional group to help facilitate discussion that is related to your local activities. Click here and sign-in for free to access the forums.
3. EVS is providing free website hosting for any interested groups to post your group’s regional activities and messaging. If your regional group decides to use this feature, it can be found at EVSociety.ca under “find a local group”.
Each of these will remain active and free-to-use after the COVID-19 threat has passed.
If your chapter or association does elect to continue with in-person meetings or attending public gatherings, we recommend that you monitor and follow public health advice. In addition, consider the following steps:
- Not allowing the public to sit in cars. If you do, wipe-down / disinfect surfaces that may have been touched.
- Avoid shared food and refreshments at gatherings.
- At meetings, provide extra distance between seats.
- Practice frequent washing of hands and if that is not practical, use hand sanitizer.
For more information please see the Government of Canada COVID-19 website.
Keep in mind that even if you are in a low risk group in terms of being impacted by the virus directly, the actions being taken are to help slow the spread of the virus so that our healthcare systems can cope with those who do develop severe and life-threatening symptoms. We all need to do our part and EVS will help in any way we can.
If you have any further questions or requests, please contact me via email.
President, EV Society